As open-air temperatures begin to rise, so do the amounts of time that people spend in the great outdoors—often in environments that are bright, hot, humid and riddled with sun glare. While many of us take precautions to protect our skin from the sun’s damaging rays, proper eye protection from harsh summer elements is also necessary. The sun’s intense UV (ultraviolet) rays can damage the surface of the eye, which can contribute to a variety of eye complications.
At the office of EYECARE about YOU, our team of highly skilled professionals are committed to good eye health during every season. Our wide selection of sunglasses is guaranteed to meet your every need.
We offer these guidelines to help protect your eyes this summer.
- Check your sunglasses’ UV protection level. Your “shades” should provide more than 95 percent UV protection, but 100 percent is ideal. Protection is recommended year-round because UV rays can be harmful even on a cloudy day.
- Make sure your sunglasses block all incoming light. Choose sunglasses that wrap around your temples, and to block overhead sunlight, wear a hat with a brim that extends at least three inches.
- Wear sunglasses over your contact lenses. Even if your contacts offer UV protection, you should still wear sunglasses. They help prevent the drying effect of contact lenses. Also, the contacts cover only a limited portion of your eyeballs.
- Wear safety goggles while doing home projects or playing sports. Around-the-house activities such as chopping wood, hammering nails, painting and anything that can go airborne (sawdust, woodchips, leaves, etc.) can easily damage an eye. So can sports equipment (baseballs, tennis racquets) and your teammates’ and competitors’ body parts (hands, elbows).
- Keep well hydrated. Liquids help keep your eyes moist. This is especially important if you’re at an ocean beach with strong breezes and blowing sand.
- Use goggles when swimming. They help shield your eyes from the irritants in swimming pools, oceans and lakes.
The office of EYECARE about YOU is dedicated to excellent vision health. Our goal is to provide the highest quality of skilled and compassionate eye care. For more information about our many services, please contact us today.
By EYECARE about YOU
March 29, 2023